A first-time Warhammer 40,000 player's chronolog of assembling, painting, and playing a Tau mechanized/light-hybrid small-points cadre.

2010/06/11

Model T is for Tau

Fairly productive modelling week.  Not quite as productive as I'd hoped to be, but better than some weeks I've had.  Throwing together some XV8 Deathrain variants and additional XV88s (to be used in future 1,000 point battles vs. amrbean as well as the upcoming escalation league at one of the local comic/game stores) and a Sniper Drone Team because A) Sniper Drones look awesome despite being fucky metal minis and 2) I need more AP3 shots to punch through that god damn SM 3+ armor save.

SDTs are a waste of a Heavy Support slot in "real" army lists, but for only 240 points I can get nine STR7 AP3 shots at BS3 (BS4 if the drone controller hits with his networked markerlight) and only use a single Heavy Support choice.  That's good heavy infantry killing right there and in a pinch workable as anti-light armor.  Plus, I mean, they look awesome.

The SDT even comes with Stealth Field Generators.  See?  Hard to get a solid lock on 'em, right?

Why not post more pics?  Doesn't cost me anything ('cept sleep).

Please ignore the hokey right stabilizer fin on the central drone there.  A kustom modela I ain't, and that's just a piece of sprue I attacked with an Xacto and a butane grill/candle-lighter.  Games Workshop sent me a whole replacement SDT box, but this is the original kit.

I'm hoping that an eventual Codex refresh does something to make SDTs a better competitive choice, because, I mean, look at them.  They're badass!

No comments:

Post a Comment